Saturday, August 29, 2015

"Some" Progress

It has been a good summer. I have tried to do a bit of sewing when I can, but sadly it has remained "a little bit."

I have been really struggling with fatigue this year, and have heard the words "chronic fatigue syndrome" from two doctors now. I am beginning to think that there is no other explanation. We have already ruled out so much, and I think everyone is running out of ideas.  But, as a wife and mother, there is just no choice but to keep moving forward. One small step at a time, doing my best to also respect what it is my body is telling me. Naps are an almost daily necessity, and I fear what will happen when the back to school schedule hits me with the 6:00 am wakeup call. It has been helpful to sleep until 9:00 every morning these summer months.

I have started a hexie project that allows me to "get something done" while I have a minute or two, wherever I am. I am working on these diamonds from scraps, and planning to arrange them in the final quilt in alternating rows of cools with black centers, neutrals with colored centers, warms with black centers, etc. It makes me realize that I but a lot more "cool" colors than anything else!

      This photo was taken as I sat in my car waiting for my son to finish up at the gym. A mini OttLite in my sewing box lets me keep going even as the sun goes down. This is going to be a LONG TERM project!

I did get one of my projects completed for the 2015 Q3 Finish Along hosted by Adrianne of On the Windy Side.
 Q3 Linkup


Yippee! It was a really quick one, but a finish is a finish! And in time for Labor Day too. I can use this as a potholder or trivet since I put a layer of Insul-Brite inside.


That great flag fabric I used for the backing was sent to me during a block swap a couple years ago, and this was a great way to use a bit of it. I think it came out nicely. I put the binding on completely by machine, and it worked out well. I am happy that I have this in my arsenal! I really enjoy hand sewing the binding on, but for a quick finish this is an option too.
 My "new" vintage Singer 15-91 is humming right along, and I am very happy to be using it.

I basted one of my projects, and I think I will give the 15-91 a go at some simple straight line machine quilting... we shall see how it goes! That may be my next finish. A few stitches at a time. One hexie at a time.

I have to slow down and be happy with whatever progress I can make, whenever I can make it. A good life lesson. This is difficult for me!

Happy quilting!



No comments:

Post a Comment